Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Thoughts on bin Laden's Death

"I feel certain satisfaction that Osama bin Laden is dead and will shed no tears for him. However, I do not feel celebratory. The road to his death is strewn with bodies, "ours" and "theirs." This was a moment purchased in blood. I hope it has the value we desire."

The above quote are the words of Dylan Bryne and they express my present feelings better than I could at the moment. The mastermind of 9/11 has paid the ultimate price. In the end, he died as he lived, violence inflicted on a man of violence. It is doubtful that there was any other resolution in the conflict between a man who encouraged others to martyr themselves in acts of terror and those whose lives had terror inflicted upon them.

My next thought is, "Where do we go from here?" I object to those who danced in the streets after his death. We saw the same action in some streets after 9/11 and the only thing that either action did was to provoke further anger. I also object to those who wished to see bin Laden's body. A respectful burial at sea brought closure in a civilized manner, and was not a provocative act of barbarism comparable to the beheading of a captive on You Tube.

It is time for people to soberly consider the future. The resources spent in anger and hatred could be better spent improving the lives of the poor and suffering. We do NOT need further martyrdoms and violence. What we do need is the sanity and clarity of vision to recognize our common humanity and get beyond the cycle of reprisals.

To dream the impossible dream...... Imagine...........

Kerry

1 comment:

  1. The resources spent in anger and hatred could be better spent improving the lives of the poor and suffering.

    Well said. I so agree.

    I came here looking for your peace globe. A peace globe worker bee told me she'd seen it cleverly hidden in your sidebar.
    So it is!

    I have place your contribution in The Peace Globe Gallery (blogblastforpeace.com) as #2087.
    Thank you for participating in last year's BB4Peace. Hope to see you again November 4th.

    If you will email your image to me in Jpg format, it will show up so much better on my page. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete